Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I SAID YES!



May 26, 2013 - The happiest day of my life (so far!).

Monkey and I were invited to go up to Maine to spend Memorial Day Weekend with two of our best friends, BFF-Puppy and Big Guy. We've been up with them a few times over the years, and it's become one of our favorite destinations. Here we are on our first trip up there, November 2010.


 Our first day, Saturday, BFF-Puppy and I spent running errands and shopping while the boys relaxed and play with the dogs. Saturday night I made a point to tell Monkey that I really wanted us to all spend some time together Sunday, little did I know that this fit perfectly with his plans. The next day we all decided to head out to Two Lights State Park. 




  We'd never been to Two Lights before, and was guaranteed to be pretty interested. We headed up there and enjoyed a lobster lunch before decided to take a walk along the water. As we were walking on these rocks overlooking the water, Big Guy and BFF-Puppy went off to "look at the Lighthouses and take pictures". Monk took this opportunity to walk me on down closer to the water. At this point he started saying very sweet things to me. My heart started racing and all of a sudden, he was down on one knee asking me to marry him. I really don't even remember him getting down on one knee because a wave of intense joy and happiness completely washed over me. Suddenly I was crying and shaking, and nodding vigorously because I couldn't speak yet. Eventually I said YES and looked down at the gorgeous ring on my finger. 

 
We stood there and smiled and kissed (of course) for a bit. When we were done I looked over and BFF-Puppy and Big Guy were snapping pictures of the entire moment. I am so glad they did so, I will cherish these pictures forever. After taking a few more pictures, we decided to head into Portland. In all our years of visiting Maine, we'd never been! I also took this time to ask BFF-Puppy to please be a bridesmaid! I knew I couldn't possibly get married without her by my side. 


 We traveled into the city and found a charming wine bar. Sadly, the wine bar wasn't open yet. However, BFF-Puppy in true Puppy-fashion exclaimed that we just got engaged and we HAD to have a glass of champagne!! They took pity on us and allowed us to sit at the bar and celebrate. I'm so grateful they did. It was the absolute perfect way to celebrate.

After our drinks, we picked up 8 lobsters and headed home to cook up a lobster feast and drink a few more glasses of champagne. I called my family, and MOH-Sugar, but decided to keep it to ourselves after that. As much as I wanted to tell every person I'd ever met, I wanted to at least have one night to keep it between us. It felt like I was holding in a beautiful little secret.

The next day, we made the rest of our phone calls and notifications on the 6 hour drive back to New York City. The drive flew by as our phones were ringing off the hook and we shared the story with all our family and friends.

It was truly the best weekend, and best possible proposal Monk could have ever come up with. It was more than I ever could have dreamed of. I'm so grateful we got to spend the weekend celebrating, especially with two of our best friends. It has completely set the tone for what we want our engagement to be, fun, romantic, and surrounded by our friends and family. 

I can't wait to begin planning our big day together!

xoxo






No comments:

Post a Comment